It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Maps Download 2x - not double the pleasure
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:10 pm 
Sippy Cup

Seems to be working better. Occasionally get the Server refused to send... message but retrying to enter sometimes works. Good times

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 am 
Admin Wizard

I changed a few things and identified a problem I absolutely do not understand why is happening.

Here is what happens when you connect to the server and need to download a file the redirect server sends you a fast download of that file but the problem is for UNKNOWN reasons that file has foreign data in and that causes your game to see it as a mismatch and try to download directly from the server which is very slow or if I have turned off direct downloads which I have tried earlier this week you will get that connection failed: server refused to send file message. Anytime you try to reconnect to re-download the file then what happens is the redirect server sends you the file but this time it is perfect and has no foreign data in it and will be a fast download.

I need to find answers to this problem I studied the cache in a hex editor and notice that this foreign data seems to be inserted at the beginning of the file in the middle of the file and at the end of the file. I have no idea what this small amount of data is or what it means but that's what causes that "double take" download mismatch. I think I will consult ut99.org about this and see if anyone there understands what it going on here. For now I leave you with the forensic material of my studies including screenshots of the files in the hex editor, a download link to the hex editor I use (freeware but be sure to dodge the tool bar and spam offers if present) and the two files I have examined. I will see if I can make any some of this myself in the meantime.

After studying this problem many times it's like this in layman's terms.

1. First download goes fast but always fails.
2. Once the first download fails it will then re-download very slowly when this happens RECONNECT to get a fast good download.
3. Rinse and repeat for every download.

Start of file
In the file.
End of file

Cache I investigated
http://gauntletwarriors.com/Downloads/R ... /Cache.zip

Hex Editor I used (freeware)
http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:53 pm 
Sippy Cup

Way out of my element, but are both the file server hosting the redirect and the gameserver the same OS? Maybe that would account for the miniscule differences?

Is there anything/features on the redirect server that manage the download of a give file? Could those extra bits be part of some type of header data that identifies and the file download instance?

Ignore my nub ideas as they likely are such. Good luck and as always, thanks for the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 am 
Creampuff

I looked up the file header signature you mentioned, and found no match. It doesn't seem to belong to any certain file type, such as zip, 7z, tar, etc. However, I wonder if a proxy might be inserting the bytes into the file, as if it was inserting a web beacon or code into what it thinks is a request to a website. It may not understand what these files are. Who are you using for file hosting?

Edit: Just saw your mention of ut99.org

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 am 
Krall

Well, if this is doing the same (as I show to uK when I was downloading from their server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfgiwhgmLyw as it looked like) but if the answer is the file on the redirect is mismatched against the one on the server, that's an interesting case... for an answer.

My server wouldn't send the map at all if it is not redirected or mismatch on a redirect (probably fixed anyway.) ^.^

I'll keep this in mind. Hope your redirect was fixed, btw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 am 
Admin Wizard

I used money problem fixed :|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:47 am 
Creampuff

I moved my cache files off into a backup folder. The 2x downloads have stopped, but now it's really slow... almost like it's not grabbing the maps from the redirect. I tested:

( ( ( -= GATEWAYS =- ) ) ) Siege-X3 Monster Madness |GAUNTLET|
( ( ( -= GATEWAYS =- ) ) ) ={NEW}= FIXED NW3 Final

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:24 am 
Admin Wizard

gameservers.com should not take so long to update our redirect "automatically" since those incompetent imbeciles can't be bothered to give me FTP access so I'm forced to depend on them and as their track record of running our servers and having them "randomly" "crash" I didn't expect competence from them when I first ordered the service but I do expect it soon. I will be ready to unleash an angry support ticket if these idiots can't do what I pay them for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 pm 
Admin Wizard

gameservers.com has once again subjected itself to my wrath

nOs*Wildcard wrote:
Can I just manage the redirect with an FTP client like you let me manage my servers with an FTP client? This automatic redirect sucks and I have no patience to wait for whatever scripts are working in the background to twiddle their thumbs while everyone including me is still getting slow downloads mixed with fast ones. I have no patience for this when I can just upload the same redirect we have been using for years which is already compressed and ready to go. Please, I know what I'm doing all the servers are setup to use the redirect properly I wouldn't be getting any fast downloads at all if that were the case but instead we are getting slow ones mixed with fast downloads. Also can't we just consolidate all 3 redirects into one place instead of having one per server which is kinda dumb? I had all 3 servers pulling from the same redirect earlier. I just wan't FTP access to a single redirect I can chain all 3 server to so I can upload all my servers already compressed content and be done and forget about it. If all else fails I can seek more competent service elsewhere.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:53 am 
Admin Wizard

nOs*Wildcard wrote:
Can I just manage the redirect with an FTP client like you let me manage my servers with an FTP client? This automatic redirect sucks and I have no patience to wait for whatever scripts are working in the background to twiddle their thumbs while everyone including me is still getting slow downloads mixed with fast ones. I have no patience for this when I can just upload the same redirect we have been using for years which is already compressed and ready to go. Please, I know what I'm doing all the servers are setup to use the redirect properly I wouldn't be getting any fast downloads at all if that were the case but instead we are getting slow ones mixed with fast downloads. Also can't we just consolidate all 3 redirects into one place instead of having one per server which is kinda dumb? I had all 3 servers pulling from the same redirect earlier. I just wan't FTP access to a single redirect I can chain all 3 server to so I can upload all my servers already compressed content and be done and forget about it. If all else fails I can seek more competent service elsewhere.

Thanks

gameservers.com wrote:
Hello,

We have been experiencing some issues with the Chicago location which may be the cause for the issues you are having with the redirect. Would you like to try switching to the NJ/NY location before we try anything else? as this is a known issue

This will be a good way to waste time while I wait for the exact same kind of incompetence to happen again.
So how nice is this, WASTE TIME then maybe a chance of actually addressing the problem which I pretty much GAVE THEM THE SOLUTION TO
GIVE ME FTP ACCESS YOU INCOMPETENT IMBECILIC MEDIOCRE EXCUSE FOR A GAME SERVER HOSTING COMPANY!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 3   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next