It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Regneration problem
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:15 pm 
Baby Babble

There seems to be a bug linked to the new regeneration feature in Gateways 2. When new gateways spawn, they can spawn outside the 'normal' playing area of the map. For example, in Cranes, many Gateways (20 or more were down here) were in the bottom part of the city. It also happened in other maps, but not as much. In LavaTemple, one spawned in lava and in WaterGiant one spawned in the water.

Here are some pictures from Cranes:

Post subject: Re: Regneration problem
PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:01 am 
Gauntlet Captain

That's because there are Path Nodes outside the available zones. It's not a problem from Gauntlet but from the maps themselves since Gauntlet spawns Gates in a random Path Node.
(I belive? WC, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Jeg har ingenting, men jeg har alt når jeg har deg.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 am 
Admin Wizard

I don't intend to be mean but your quite wrong as a mater of fact Rurik. The really cool thing about Gauntlet Regeneration is that new gates can only spawn where monsters are located at. In random intervals of time it spawns a random amount of gates. Since in most cases their are a lot of monsters active in Gauntlet it chooses a random monster and spawns the gate there.

Gauntlet Regeneration is a great overall improvement to how gauntlet normally operates with the spawning of gateways. Yes, gauntlet does spawn the gateways on the path nodes of the maps and this cannot be interfered with for it would require a new version of Gauntlet entirely and that would be a BIG change to address small problems so I made this mod that exists only on the server and is not downloaded. Nice how I can make major changes like this without having you download more crap into your UT installation huh? Well I think so, anyways after Gauntlet spawns all the gateways the mod then records all the gates that were spawned to a list then removes them from the map and then spawns all the gateways more evenly throughout the map on all the path nodes in a map, not just the first 256 path nodes that Gauntlet uses. This is an improvement already! Now with the Gauntlet Regeneration style to gameplay the gateways are no longer spawned in hazard or death zones such as lava and acid or in space. Also the mod try's to avoid spawning the gateways on top of each other however I will admit this is not perfect.

The problem with the DM-Crane is that it does not have normal death zones but rather several death triggers in the map that favor monsters and gateways and own the players that try to go in and kill them. In this image below any player that is inside the red wireframe is killed.

So it's not exactly Gauntlet Regenerations fault. The map is just kind of dumb. I could edit the map and remove the kill triggers however I'll just probably make another server side mod that will disable the kill spots. This would allow you to explore in the forbidden areas however you'll have to figure a way out on your own via VenomX piston skills or for those on Gateways 2 use the blades to jump or add a kickback modifier to a weapons to get out or maby just maby I'll find a way to have a teleporter down there to get you out. We'll see later.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:10 am 
Admin Wizard

To learn more about how Gauntlet Regeneration works and more view this thread in my lab
viewtopic.php?f=54&t=400

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:44 am 
Gauntlet Captain

So if there are Monsters trapped in a place that players can't enter... Gates could spawn there?

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:43 pm 
Admin Wizard

Yes! and that's how it happens.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:19 pm 
Gauntlet Captain

:(

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:06 am 
Baby Babble

Thanks for the explanation :). It's not really been a problem except for Cranes.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]